I don’t know if this is the right time to return to the blog or not. I just know I’ve been thinking of it. So – a change to the blog look and feel (I love how easy that is) and we’ll see what happens.
Catching up – I’ve only recently truly begun to grieve. I think am finally over the circumstances around my father’s death that made me so angry. That anger and then the immediate pull back into my work allowed me to wallow in numbness for too long.
I started habits that engendered feeling numb: blind binge eating in the car; hours playing computer games, etc.
And I’ve stopped the binge eating. I stopped because I recognized that it was only hurting me. I was lying to my husband and to myself about my eating. The computer games – well – I still like those.
What made me start thinking about the blog is that I came very very close to joining Weight Watchers at work. I was in a desperate place in my mind and the promise of a magic pill was alluring. I talked with my husband about it and he wasn’t very keen on the idea. While Weight Watchers works to help people lose weight, the strategy isn’t for maintenance and let’s face it – Weight Watchers doesn’t want you to maintain. That’s how they make money.
I returned to my rule: No paid programs to lose weight. I did buy an app that does what I tinkered with Excel to do with weight entries. The app, Happy Scale, balances & averages the weight entries so a spike is smoothed, but a trend is recognized. Weighing myself daily helps.
What works for me right now?
- Protein Smoothies in the morning – I love spinach, vanilla whey protein powder, coconut milk (plain,unsweetened) banana and chocolate PB2. YUM. I also love my Ninja Blend IQ blender.
- Protein at lunch. Not going out for lunch.
- Green or ginger teas (plain, no sweetener)
- LaCroix flavored sparkling waters
- Scrambled eggs with spinach for breakfast
What doesn’t work – usually because I’m not consistent:
- Logging my food
- Leaving food on the plate (but I’m gonna make this one work – it is sustainable!)
- Exercise. Yeah. I’ll come back to this one day too.
So – I’ve been thinking about how to use this blog to build on what works for me. If anyone is out there – I welcome your suggestions!